Design, Technology and Engineering Technician
Location: Casterton, Sedbergh Preparatory School
Responsible to: Head of Design Technology
Contract type: Part time (2 days) Permanent, Term Time only
Salary: £9,000 per annum
The Design, Technology and Engineering department at Sedbergh Prep has outstanding facilities and is a very popular subject.
Sedbergh School are now recruiting for a competent technician to support teaching and learning – primarily by maintaining the specialist equipment and assisting with preparation of materials and resources.
The successful candidate will:
• Have a keen enthusiasm for the subject
• Ideally a background in Design or Engineering
• Be competent using CAD/CAM
• Have proven experience using and maintaining workshop machines
• Have detailed knowledge of Health & Safety legislation and how it relates to a DT department
Duties will include:
• Maintain machinery and equipment in accordance with Health & Safety
• Daily and weekly checks, reporting any problems to HOD
• Replacement of consumable parts
• Organising materials and equipment for lessons and DTE clubs
• Monitoring department stock in liaison with HOD
• Setting up and maintaining 3D printers and laser cutters:
• Maintaining and running the laser machine
• Laser cutting parts – class sets of parts for projects
• 3D printer: loading printer with material, test runs, maintaining equipment
• Exporting Tinkercad files and running student prints
• A willingness, once DTE tasks have been completed, to provide practical assistance in the art department
The DTE department is well resourced and consists of a large workshop, an electronics lab, photography room and a computer suite.
The department equipment consists of:
• CAD/CAM: CO2 laser cutter, 3D printers, Vinyl cutter
• General workshop: Pewter casting, vacuum former, bandsaw, pillar drill, scroll saw, belt sander, hot wire cutter, various hand tools and machines
• Computer suite: applications taught include Solidworks, Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop, TInkercad, Picaxe editor.
In exchange for your hard work and commitment, the School will offer:
- Contributory Pension Scheme – to include life cover while remaining within the scheme;
- Statutory Sick Pay entitlement – conditional on meeting the demands of the scheme
- Free car parking;
- Opportunity to see School productions;
- Staff events and family fun days!
- Use of the School’s vast facilities (outside School timetabling) including the indoor swimming pool, tennis & squash courts, and the incredible state of the art Hirst Centre, which opened in 2018.
The closing date for this position is Friday 24th June 2022 at 5pm.
To apply, please download an application form from the bottom of this webpage, or alternatively click here to apply online.
We look forward to hearing from you.