Due to continued growth and success, Sedbergh School is now seeking full time and part time Assistant Houseparents (AHSMs) to join our busy boarding community. The role of Assistant Houseparent at Sedbergh is purely pastoral, underpinning the provision of outstanding welfare support for pupils in the House, in support of the Housemaster/Housemistress.
To view our Candidate Information Brochure, please click here.
The key responsibilities of the role are as follows:
- Primarily, the AHSM will provide direct support to pupils and staff, assisting with managing all aspects of the health, welfare and pastoral care of pupils, adhering to relevant school policies at all times;
- Secondly, the AHSM will provide support for the Housemaster/Housemistress with a wide range of administrative duties relating to pupils and their parents;
- Thirdly, the AHSM will work closely with the operational management team to ensure that the House catering, cleaning and laundry teams maintain standards, in accordance with School policy and operating specifications.
The duties of the role will be wide and varied, but it is essential for the AHSM to be able to demonstrate an empathy with and understanding of young people, a sense of humour and a genuine concern for the pupils’ well-being and active involvement in their personal development. They will be required to positively encourage the pupils in their interests and activities, and to develop a professional and friendly relationship with them. The AHSM will also provide support in the maintenance of morale, standards and the efficient operation of the Boarding House.
Our ideal candidate will have experience of working with children aged 13-18 years old and relevant qualifications in medical or welfare related roles would be desirable. Excellent interpersonal, problem solving and organisational skills are also essential, as is the ability to work flexibly, maintaining a focus on quality at all times.
The post is available from September 2022.
In exchange the School will offer:
- Contributory Pension Scheme – to include life cover while remaining within the scheme;
- Statutory Sick Pay entitlement – conditional on meeting the demands of the scheme
- Free car parking;
- Opportunity to see School productions;
- Staff events and family fun days!
- Use of the School’s vast facilities (outside School timetabling) including the indoor swimming pool, tennis & squash courts, and the incredible state of the art Hirst Centre, which opened in 2018.
Sedbergh School is committed to safeguarding & protecting the welfare of children. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.